During the late 19th century, Durban residents wishing to escape the heat of the coast began to establish townships further inland. These townships consisted of both residences and farms. The townships of Malvern, Escombe, Northdene and Moseley were combined in 1924 to form the town of Malvern. In 1952, Malvern was renamed Queensburgh in honour of Queen Elizabeth II who was crowned in that year.
One of Malvern’s lovely old houses
Malvern is probably named after the Malvern Hills in England, Escombe is named after Sir Harry Escombe (Premier of Natal Colony in 1897), and Northdene is named after the North family who farmed in the area from 1860.
The following information has been taken from T.V. Bulpin’s book, “To the shores of Natal”:
In the 1890s, Malvern has as one of its residents, a colourful character called Colonel J.H. Bowker. He built a rambling house in upper Malvern in 1892 called “The Cedars”. He turned the garden into a wildlife sanctuary full of birds and animals. The original name of Escome Station was Bowkers, also known as Soap Box Siding.
The pioneers of Malvern were Frederick and Cecil Barker who had been in upper Malvern since the 1880s.